Pintail Candles is committed to looking after the personal information you share with us and we want you to be confident that your personal data is kept safely and securely.
We have published this notice to help you understand:
• how and why we collect information from you
• how we use this information.
• who we share your information with, why and on what basis
• what your rights are.
WHAT KIND OF PERSONAL INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT?
• When you create an account on our website or place an order for our products, you provide us with your personal details, including your name, postal and billing addresses, email addresses and phone numbers. Also, you may provide your credit card, debit card or PayPal details. Our site does not directly collect this payment information, but it does integrate with a secure payment gateway provider who process payments on our behalf. We will hold information on the items that you have ordered.
• When you place an order for our products via the Pintail Candles office, you provide us with your personal details, including your name, postal and billing addresses, email addresses and phone numbers. Also, you may provide your credit card or debit card details which are entered manually on to an automated system and sent directly to a secure payment gateway provider. We will hold information on the items that you have ordered.
• When you place a gift order for our products to be sent to a third party you also provide us with their personal details of name and postal address.
• When you make enquiries and contact us by email, phone, fax or social media message you provide us with your personal details which may include your name, postal and billing addresses, email addresses, social media addresses and phone numbers. We may also collect information about you from your messages, calls and letters that you send to us.
• When you sign up to receive newsletters you provide us with your email address.
HOW WE COLLECT AND USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION.
The personal information we collect is given by you when you set up an account, or order via website and through the office, or enquire about our products and services via email, telephone or at shows. We may use your personal information to:
• Supply the goods or services you have requested and to bill you and to contact you when necessary concerning your orders.
• Contact you in response to the enquiries that you have made and the communications that you have sent us.
• We may use your information to contact you to notify you about important changes or developments to the website or our services for example last order date at Christmas.
• Keep your personal data records up to date.
• Send marketing communications, where you have consented, to let you know by email, phone, post or social media about other products and services which we offer and which may be of interest to you. If you change your mind about being contacted, please let us know.
• Enable us to provide you with access to our website.
• Award you a prize if you have won a competition we are running.
• Analyse the personal information we collect to generate aggregated statistics and data for internal reporting so that we can administer, support and improve our business and the products and services we offer. This will not include information that can be used to identify you.
• To share information as needed with service providers to supply our goods and services. This includes fulfilling and delivering orders, processing credit card payments and provide web and social media support services on our behalf.
• To meet best practice guidelines and to comply with legal and regulatory obligations, requirements and guidance.
If you are providing us with another person's personal information:
• You are confirming that the other person has given you consent to provide their personal information to us and that they understand how their details will be used.
WHY DO WE PROCESS YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION.
Data Protection says that we are can use and share your personal data only where we have a proper reason to do so. The law says we must have one or more of these reasons and these are:
• Contract: Your personal information is processed in order to fulfil a contractual arrangement, for example to send you your order.
• Consent: Where you agree to us using your information for example, when you register to receive a newsletter.
• Legal Obligations: When we are required by law to use or share information about you:
o To help make sure our customers are treated fairly for example to assist our regulators where we have a legal duty to do so
o To deal with complaints
o To help prevent and detect crime
o To comply with legal and regulatory obligations, requirements and guidance.
• Legitimate Interests: This means in our interest in managing our business to allow us to provide you with the best products and service in the most secure and appropriate way. We will always ensure the amount of information that is collected is kept to the absolute minimum and our reasons for collecting are:
o Managing the products or services you have requested including transferring your data to delivery partners.
o To contact you when necessary concerning your orders, enquiries and general communications
o To keep your records up to date.
o For management, monitoring, testing and audit of our business operations including customer service, quality control and accounting.
o To improve our web site, social media and marketing communications to you to help us offer relevant products and services to our customers and to inform you of important business or product developments and changes.
o Enable us to provide you with access and to use our web and social media sites.
o To meet best practice guidelines.
You will have a right to object to our use of your personal information for these legitimate interests, including a right to object to profiling by us, please see a list of your rights below.
USE OF CHILDREN'S PERSONAL INFORMATION
We do not knowingly collect or store any personal information about children under the age of 16. If you are aged under 16 please get your parent or guardian's permission before you provide any personal information to us.
Where we have collected information directly from you, this will be obvious as you will have given it to us. This might not be the case where cookies are used to collect data from your computer or mobile electronic devices. A cookie is a small test file placed on the hard drive of your computer or mobile device. It enables us to identify your computer as you view different pages on our website.
Cookies allow us to store your preferences to present functions that are specific to you. They also enable us to collate information, for example how many people use the website and what pages they tend to visit. This help us to improve our site and to deliver a better products and services. The information is anonymous, no personal data is collected. For more details on the types of cookies used on our website and how to manage or refuse them please see our Cookie Notice below.
WHEN DO WE SHARE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION.
We work with a number of suppliers, agencies and businesses in order to provide you the products and services you expect from us such as delivery companies and payment agencies. We may share your data to these third parties in the following ways:
• To our business service providers for the purposes of providing certain services including fulfilling and delivering orders, processing payments, insurance, accounting, IT support and document storage providers.
• To our website and social media hosts and providers and enabling your interaction with the web site and social media sites.
• To business credit reference agencies if you are a trade retailer applying for credit account and only if you use your personal details for your business purposes.
• To our sales agent in Scotland if you are a trade retailer in Scotland so that we can provide our business services and only if you use your personal details for your business purposes.
• If required or permitted to do so by law, by any court, the Financial Conduct Authority or any other applicable regulatory, compliance, governmental or law enforcement agency such as HMRC.
• If necessary, in connection with legal proceedings or potential legal proceedings.
KEEPING IN TOUCH WITH YOU.
We want to keep you up to date with information about new ranges, special offers and improvements to our website. When you set your account up, we will ask you if you want to receive this type of marketing information. We do not share your information with other companies for their marketing purposes.
If you decide you do not want to receive this marketing information, please write or email us at the address given below. Please note that you may receive mailings for a short period while we deal with your request.
KEEPING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION SECURE.
Keeping your information secure is very important to us so we take security measures to protect your information from access by unauthorised persons and against unlawful processing, accidental loss, destruction and damage.
From time to time your information may also be processed outside the European Economic Area (EEA) for example our suppliers and partners may make use of cloud or technologies hosted in countries outside of the EEA. These countries do not always have strong data protection laws, however, we will always take steps to ensure that your information is used in accordance with this policy.
Where we have given you, or where you have chosen a password which enables you to access certain parts of our site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share your password with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site - so any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
HOW LONG DO WE KEEP YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
The length of time we keep it is determined by a number of factors including the purpose for which we use that information and for any legal obligations. We may need your personal information to establish, bring or defend legal claims. For this purpose, we will retain your personal information for 7 years after the date it is no longer needed by us for any of the purposes listed below:
• As long as we have reasonable business needs such as managing our relationship with you and managing our operations.
• As long as we provide products and services to you and then for as long as someone could bring a claim against us,
• As long as the retention periods required to meet legal and regulatory requirements or guidance:-
o the law requires us to hold your personal information for a longer period, or delete it sooner;
o you exercise your right to have the information erased (where it applies) and we do not need to hold it in connection with any of the reasons permitted or required under the law;
o we bring or defend a legal claim or other proceedings during the period we retain your personal information, in which case we will retain your personal information until those proceedings have concluded and no further appeals are possible; or
o in limited cases, existing or future law or a court or regulator requires us to keep your personal information for a longer or shorter period.
If you have registered or ordered any of our products and services, but then you do not use them for a reasonable time, we may:
• Contact you to ensure you are still happy to receive communications from us
• Delete your personal information. Even if we delete your personal information it may persist on back-up or archival media for legal, tax or regulatory purposes.
YOUR INFORMATION RIGHTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES.
Here is a list of the rights, called your Data Subject Rights, that all individuals have under data protection laws. For more information go to Information Commissioners website www.ico.org.uk. These rights do not apply in all circumstances but if you wish to use any of them we will explain if they are engaged or not.
• Right to be informed: the right to be informed about the processing of your personal information.
• Right to access: the right to request access to your personal information and how we process it.
• Right to correct: the right to have your personal information rectified if it is inaccurate or incomplete. Please keep us up to date with any changes to your contact details.
• Right to erase: the right to request that we delete or remove your personal information from our systems. Please note that if personal information is not provided for the products or service you are asking for, or to fulfil a legal requirement, we will be unable to provide you with those products or services. If your personal information is deleted it may persist on back-up or archival media for legal, tax or regulatory purposes.
• Right to restrict processing: the right to limit the way in which we can use your information.
• Right to data portability: the right to request that we move, copy or transfer your personal data.
• Rights in related to automated decision making which has a legal effect or which significantly affects you. We do not make any decisions about you using only technology, with the exception that credit and debit card companies and banks may reject payment to purchase products. Business credit reference agencies provide automated credit scoring which we may consider when making an assessment.
• Right to object: the right to object to certain purposes for processing, particularly to data processed for direct marketing and for data processed for certain reasons based on our legitimate interests. If you raise an objection we will stop processing your personal information unless special or legal circumstances apply, in which case we will write to you to let you know why we are continuing to process your personal information.
We will use reasonable efforts consistent with our legal duty to provide you with your rights in accordance with data protection legislation.
HOW YOU CAN CHANGE YOUR CONSENT OR CONTACT US.
Where we have collected information directly from you this will be obvious as you will have given it to us. This might not be the case where cookies are used to collect data from your computer or mobile electronic devices.
THE FUNCTIONS OF THE COOKIES WE USE.
• Necessary Cookies: These cookies are essential in helping you to move around our website and use its features, such as accessing secure areas of the website. Without these cookies, services such as setting up an account cannot be provided. These cookies do not gather information about you that could be used for marketing or remembering where you have been on the internet.
• Analytical Cookies: In order to improve the content of the website, to keep it up-to-date and to make it easy to use and we use web analytics services to help us understand how people use our website. For example, we can see which parts of the website and products are most popular, identify when errors occur, and test different versions of a page or feature to see which one works best.
• Functionality Cookies: These cookies allow our website to remember choices you make (such as your password) and provide more personal features. They do not gather any information about you that could be used for selling advertising or remembering where you have been on the internet.
• Advertising Cookies: We do not allow advertising on our site, but we include links to social networks such as Facebook or may use embedded videos, and if you interact with this content, the social networks may use information about your interactions to target advertising to you on their websites.
THESE ARE THE COOKIES WE USE
We try to ensure this list is always up to date, but it is possible that the services we use may make changes to their cookie names and purposes and we may not be able to reflect these changes in this policy straightaway.
• Facebook Connect Widget: a click button displayed on our website to take you to our Facebook Page.
• Twitter Button Widget: a small button displayed on our website to help you easily share our content on Twitter.
• AddThis: collects information about the type of device you are using to access our site for example mobile or laptop. It does not directly identify you.
• Google Analyics: we use reports provided by Google Analytics to help us understand website traffic and webpage usage. Google Analytics does not identify individual users or associate your IP address with any other data held by Google.
• DoubleClick: is a Google cookie which tells us what sections of our website you are browsing which helps us to improve our website content. It is not used to target advertising to you and the cookie contains no personally identifiable information about you.
You may refuse to accept cookies by activating the setting on your browser which allows you to refuse any cookies being stored on your device. However, if you select this setting you may be unable to access certain parts of our site. For information on how to disable cookies:
• Consult the help tab of your browser via the menu bar.
• If you do not want your data used by Google Analytics visit the Google Analytics opt-out page and install the add-on for your browser.